Sunday, December 28, 2008

Church was weird. . .

Maybe I lived in Utah for too long, but church was different today . . . more than usual. First, I got up thinking that church started at noon. Luckily, my mom found out from the Bishop that the singles ward in my stake started at 1:30pm. I could have been at church super early; good thing she double checked. I got to church at 1:25, only to discover that nobody was there. I thought to myself. . . Did I miss the meeting? So, I sat in the foyer not knowing what to do when I heard a young man ask, "What time does the singles ward start?" Another boy replied, "1:45 pm." Oh, man! I still had 20 minutes before church. I was still there super early. Oh, well. I got to meet the bishopric, and fill out a new member form, and transfer my records, and get my picture taken for the ward directory, and stare at everybody as they walk into the sacrament room and watch them stare me down . . . after all I am the new girl in this ward of 20 members. Maybe people are out of town this week, but there were only 20 people in church today. This is a really small ward.

One of the counselors started the meeting by saying, "You may have noticed that the program says that the speakers are to be announced. That's because we are just going to call on random people to come up and talk to us about setting goals and sticking to them. They can also share what they are thankful for if they'd like to." Okay . . . what? . . . I was confused. Did they really not have speakers? "Okay, the first speakers are . . . Kim, Ruth, and . . . Paul." They really called up random people to speak. Looking around for an exit I remembered that I just moved into the ward and they probably won't call on me because they don't know me. Wait! They do know me. I spent the last 20 minutes engaged in conversation with them. The minutes past… I was nervous. What would I say if they called me up? Then, something happened that made me forget all my worries.

*Latin Dance Music*
:)

Someone's cell phone had gone off. It was loud and it was definitely dance mambo/Latin/salsa music. I looked around to see who forgot to turn off their cell phone. It was . . . the bishop's wife. Not only could she not find her phone so it went off for a whole minute, but when she finally found her phone she answered it!! I was laughing so hard with the boys I was sitting by. We were so shocked, we couldn't help but laugh. This is going to be an interesting change and an entertaining ward.

3 comments:

Jon said...

Jaimee! Okay, that was quite funny hearing about your new single's ward...yeah, I've heard about wards that do that. They announce the topic ahead of time, and everyone is supposed to have a talk "prepared." It's a little different, but you do get something to study throughout the week--

Kira said...

Yeah ... umm ... weird! Good luck with that ward! :)

Hayley Marie said...

haha sounds like you should turn around and come back to the Enclave...