Thursday, December 19, 2013

I had a BABY!!

The delivery story.... 


Labor was not really what I thought it was going to be like. It started Sunday night. I couldn't sleep because my head was congested. So, I got up at midnight to clean the house. I washed the dishes and then started feeling mild cramping. I woke Seth up, but we decided that it was too early to go to the hospital. So I kept track of how far apart my contractions were. When they were 5 minutes apart I woke Seth up again ( it was 3 am). I told him that I wanted to pack our hospital bag. Then at 4:30 we headed to the hospital. They checked me in at 4:30 and I was dilated to a 3. They wanted me to walk around the hospital for an hour and drink lots of water. At 8, another nurse came in and said I was dilated to a 4! Because I was progressing they omitted me into the hospital. It was time to have a baby.









I got an epidural shortly after to help with the pain. The anesthesiologist said that since I had scoliosis he was going to have to put the needle in higher, which could potentially be more dangerous. I was so nervous. I made Seth stand in front of me. I squeezed his hands so tightly. He said I looked like I was in a lot of pain. I had my eyes closed when I heard Seth say, "I need to sit down" and the Dr. yell, "Grab him!"  I felt Seth's body go limp and drape over across the bed. He was passed out. The nurse yelled for help. She tried to put Seth in the chair but he slumped sideways in the chair hitting his head hard on the side of the cabinet before falling to the floor and hitting the back of his head on the floor. I called Seth's name but he didn't answer. His eyes were opened before and now they were rolling to the back of his head. The anesthesiologist tried to calm me down. He said I couldn't move because I had a needle in my spine. There were about 7 nurses that rushed into our room. He was unconscious for 2-3 minutes. Someone grabbed smelling salts to wake him up. When he awoke, he looked up, got a huge smile on his face and said, "oh, hello. Why am I on the floor?" It was cute.


The nurses watched after Seth making sure he got some food and rest. It probably didn't help that he hadn't eaten anything in 16 hours, plus he was running off of 3 hours of sleep. Once he had food and sleep, he was much better. 
 
Dr. Carter came in around 1:00 to check on me. He said I was dilated to a 10, but baby wasn't ready. My water hadn't broken yet. so, he was going to go do a C-section and come back to check on me later.   


My parents came down and kept us company. 
Around 3:00 pm Dr. Carter came back and said, are you ready to have a baby?
He broke my water which was exciting. The water came shooting out as if someone threw a water balloon. Water went all over the floor. 
Then, Dr. Carter settled into his chair and tried to make small talk. He thought I was going to be pushing for hours since the baby hadn't dropped yet. That made me mad so I pushed as hard as I could. I pushed for 30 minutes. 

Adelyn was born on Monday, May 6, 2013 at 3:32 pm.   
She is beautiful. We love her so much. She weighed 7 lbs. 11 oz. We had so many people come to visit.




I was so exhausted that first week and still am. It's tough getting used to a baby. But I love being a mom. :)

1 comment:

Diana said...

Love these sweet pictures! Labor is always quite the event, and no labor is the same. So glad everything went well and hopefully Seth won't pass out next time ;)